Contra Dance/Contradance Links for the
Great Plains Region
of the United States
South Dakota |
Bands and Musicians |
North Dakota |
This page is devoted to listing contra dances in the Great Plains
region of the United States along with bands, musicians, callers, and
organizations that are based in the region. URLs and e-mail addresses
are listed when available. New entries, additional information, and
changes in information are always welcome. Links to other pages in
the www.contradancelinks.com web site are listed at the bottom of the page.
New links are simply new to me, not
necessarily new to the World Wide Web. Change
in URL means that a link has changed its WWW address or
- No regional links found or submitted.
- Roger Alexander provides information about The Central Iowa Barn Dance
Association which holds dances in Ames on the 4th Saturday of each month.
- The organization holding dances in Des Moines is changing from Contra Indications to a new group. Change of URL/organization (December 17, 2016)
- The Fairfield Folk Arts and Dance Co-op holds contra dances in Fairfield along with a variety of other events.
- There are contra dances on the 4th Saturday of the month at 7:30pm at the Senior Center in Iowa City. (e-mail only or call 319-384-8209)
- Kansas Contra
Dancing covers that exact topic.
- The Lawrence
Barn Dance Association holds dances generally on the 3rd Saturday of
the month. They also have advanced dances on some 5th Saturdays.
- The Lawrence Barn Dance Association holds an annual Pilgrims
Progression Dance Weekend in mid-November in Lawrence.
- Uptown Hoedown happens in Lawrence with a mix of hot squares, contras and more, generally, but not always, on 1st Saturdays.
- The Flint Hills Contra Dance holds events in Manhattan on the 2nd Saturday of the month. New entry (March 3, 2018)
- The Land Institute, as part of its annual Natural Systems Agriculture Graduate Research Fellows Workshop, holds a contra dance in Matfield Green, Kansas in mid-June.
- The Land Institute holds an annual Prairie Festival in Salina in late September which includes a barn dance.
- The Wichita contra dance series is held on the 1st Saturday of each month. Change in URL (February 3, 2019)
- The dances in Lincoln
occur on the 1st Saturday of each month. Butch Krause supports the page.
- There are dances in Ralston (near Omaha), usually on the 3rd Saturday of each month at 7:30 PM at the Seymour Elementary School. Change of URL (February 24, 2017)
- For dances in Grand Forks, North Dakota or East Grand Forks, Minnesota (just over the border), get on the mailing list maintained by Tom and Jeanne O'Neil. Updated entry (February 7, 2015)
No links found or submitted for this state.
- The Scissortail Traditional Dance Society sponsors dances in Oklahoma City on the 2nd and 4th
Saturday of each month and has information about dances in other communities.
- The "A Contra Affair" dances occur in Stillwater generally on the third Friday of each month.
- The Tulsa
Barn Dance series, happening on 1st Saturdays.
Mayhem, based in Iowa City, Iowa plays rollicking tunes, dancing tunes, sing along songs, and a repertoire that ranges from country to Cajun to classical this band entertains everyone from 3 to 103. Change of URL (February 7, 2015)
- Arabesque plays Arabic and Irish acoustic music on flute and various string instruments for dances and other events in Oklahoma and elsewhere. Change of URL (February 7, 2015)
- Bob and Melissa Atchison have played at contra dances and square dances since the early 1980s and live in Kansas.
- Since its inception in 1991, The Barn Owl Band, its mainstay gig has ben playing for dances in Ames, Iowa, but it has brought its new sound of the traditional American string band to other locales and included new compositions that add to the tradition.
- Wayne Cantwell of Del City, Oklahoma, occasionally plays at contra dances.
- The Dire Ducks include Alice Boyle (fiddle) and Robert Rosenberg (guitar, banjo, bodhran), are based in Manhattan, Kansas, and plays Irish, Quebecois, Contra Dance, and Old Time fiddle music. New entry (January 2, 2016)
- Euphoria Stringband from Two Foot Falls, Kansas, specializes in Old-Time music.
- Finnegans Awake is based in Tulsa, Oklahoma and plays a fine blend of acoustic music with flavors of Irish, Celtic and a pinch of folk. Facebook page. Change of URL (February 7, 2015)
- The Flatland String Band plays at contra dances and other events in Kansas.
- Flying Pig Fiddle & Banjo play Old-Time Southern Appalachian String Band Music on fiddles, banjo, washtub, washboard, pitchfork, fiddlesticks, feet, and more in and around Iowa.
- The Gilded Bats are an Iowa City area old-time string band who have been playing together since 2003.
- Based in Iowa, Mark and Brandi Janssen play traditional American music inspired by the first generation of rural recording and radio artists. New entry (July 4, 2016)
- Ladies at Play is a high-spirited and musically adventurous contra dance and English country dance band from Oklahoma. Our repertoire includes a wide variety of folk and ballroom-like dance tunes, including jigs, reels, polkas, waltzes, hambos, English, old time, and zweifache. We also play our own spicy and cosmic original tunes, inspired by folk music traditions from around the world. New entry (July 1, 2016)
- The Porch Stompers play for dances in Iowa and sing some fine country harmonies.
- The Prairie Acre is based in Lawrence, Kansas, started up in 2002 and brings together elements of traditional bluegrass and old-time to create a unique sound and fuel their highly contagious positive energy.
- The band, Scenic Roots,
from Kansas, occasionally plays at a contra dance. They mix
bluegrass, folk, celtic, folk, and gospel for their unique sound.
- The Scissortail Mega Band is a group of volunteer musicians who fill in from time to time for The Scissortail Traditional Dance contra dances in Oklahoma City.
- Three Bean Salad, from Lawrence, Kansas, plays a blend of New England Dance, Celtic and other traditional and contemporary styles.
This page is part of the Contrdancelinks.com web site. For more information about contra dancing, visit these other site pages:
Sites and Pages
Contra Dance Links Home Page
Rehoboth, MA | New
England | Mid-Atlantic
South Atlantic |
South Central | Great Lakes | Great Plains
Rocky Mountains | Pacific | Canada | Rest
of the World
Resources | All Bands and Musicians | All Callers | What's New
Festivals, Weekends, Camps, etc.
Waltzes and Scandinavian Dances |
Traditional and Old-Time Square Dances
Community Bands and Open Bands |
Open Caller Opportunities
Contra Dance Cookies
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Mexico* |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Dakota** |
West Virginia |
*The Colorado link will bring you to Dancing on the Web. The Maine link will bring you to the Downeast Friends of the Folk Arts. The New Mexico link will bring you to the New Mexico Folk Music and Dance Society. The Utah link will bring you to Utah Contradance Information. These fine organizations and individuals already have complete listings for these states and there is no reason for me to duplicate their efforts.
**As far as I know, there are no regular dances or events in Mississippi, South Dakota or Wyoming, but I have created pages if something changes in the future.
Produced by Charlie Seelig
Last updated on February 3, 2019