Contra Dance/Contradance Links for Callers
This page is devoted to listing the folks that call at contra dances. URLs and e-mail addresses are listed when available. New entries, additional information, and changes in information are always welcome. Links to other pages in the www.contradancelinks.com
web site are listed at the bottom of the page.
Looking for a caller?
Whether it is for a regular dance series, a one-time event, weekends and festivals, contras, English, squares (traditional or Modern Western), or Irish Ceilidhs, you can start your search on the list created by Luke Donforth that includes contact and other information. Are you a caller and want to be added to the list? Fill out the form.
New links are simply new to me, not necessarily new to the World Wide Web. Change in URL means that a link has changed its WWW address or URL.
- Bob McKimm has a page on callers in Ohio. Change URL (February 2, 2015)
- Jared Gottlieb provides information about the callers and bands performing at the various sites in Colorado.
- Harold, as part of the California Dance Cooperative, provides a wide range of contact information for a number of callers in the Central California area.
- William R. Ellis provides information about a number of bands and callers in Florida.
- Sharon Rempert gives descriptions and contact information for bands, musicians, and callers in Texas.
- Richard Hart maintains a web page with information about callers and musicians in New Hampshire.
- The Portland Country Dance Community includes information about bands and callers in the Pacific Northwest. Slight change of URL (June 28, 2015)
- The Princeton (New Jersey) Country Dancers has a page of links
and information for bands,
musicians and callers which play at the Princeton dance.
- The California Dance Co-op in Los Angeles has listings of callers in the area.
- The Spokane Folklore Society provides a list of callers including contra dance groups.
- Set and Turn Single has listings for callers in England, but you will need to check individual pages to work out who calls contras.
- Jeff Spero, on his site, has a list of regional (southern CA) callers.
- D. E. Pauley has a list of callers in Florida along with information about a number of out-of-state callers.
- The Chattahoochee Country Dancers in the Atlanta area have
information about area bands and
callers and those that visit.
- Emily 'Rainbowface' Abel is currently located in Asheville, NC and is well-known for incorporating her calling into bands’ playing through song, for lending a great deal of energy and enthusiasm to events, and for thorough and concise teaching. New entry (August 27, 2016)
- Chuck Abell began calling in earnest in 2011 and has since become a regular on the regional dance scene as well as toured in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas, California, and New England. He is based in Rochester, NY> New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Lynn Ackerson calls all over Northern California, and has also called in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Atlanta, GA, Bloomington, IN, and Ottawa, Canada. Her motto is "Have cards, will travel." (e-mail only)
- Marc Airhart has called at various dances in Texas since 1998. Check with Austin dancers for more info. (e-mail only)
- Ginger Alberti is a caller in the Los Angeles, California area. (e-mail only)
- Roger Alexander calls at many of the dances in Ames, Iowa. Change of URL (February 7, 2015)
- Jill Allen calls at the many of the dances in Lawrence, Kansas.
- Tom Allen calls contras and squares in the Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan area, along with Toledo, Ohio. (e-mail only)
- Tom Amesse is a caller from New York City.
- The Amidons play music, tells stories and call dances and are from Brattleboro, VT.
- Reuven AnafShalom lives in Ann Arbor, and calls in Southeast Michigan and surrounding states. (e-mail only)
- Kathy Anderson
(e-mail only) is back in Ohio and is a regular caller there and elsewhere. You can obtain more information about her on the Bay Area page.
- Tom Anderson calls at dances in Illinois. (e-mail only)
- Karen Andrews calls in the Goshen, Indiana area. (e-mail only)
- Ruthanne E. Ankney calls a variety of dances including contras, Squares, English and International. She specializes in family and community dances and creates special holiday and seasonal themed dances. She also teaches seasonal ritual dance. She is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Bob Archer is a caller, formerly based in the UK, now in Washington State.
- Along with playing a variety of musical instruments and telling stories, Jennifer Armstrong calls at family dances. She is based in Maine.
- Gary Arthur calls at dances in Florida in a variety of locations. He is based in Gainesville. (e-mail)
- Melanie Axel-Lute calls from South Orange, New Jersey.
- Dan Wally Baker calls square dances and teaches dance in New Orleans, Louisiana. New entry (August 11, 2017)
- Peter Baker has called in Michigan and others states and in Denmark and Austria. He leads dances in schools, churches and other public gatherings.
- Doug Baldwin is a caller in the Rochester, New York area. (e-mail only)
- Paul Balliet, caller from Ohio, has published a number of his dances.
- The caller Steve Barlow is based in San Diego, CA. (e-mail only)
- Peter Barnes is a caller and musician, including piano and flute, from New England.
- Michael Barraclough was the caller with folk rock band Pyewackett and now calls Zesty Contras and English Country Dance in the USA and is based in Phoenix, AZ.
- Joe Barziza calls at the dance in Dallas, Texas and other
locales. (e-mail only (take out the (at)))
- Lynn Basham (e-mail only) is a caller in Alaska.
- David Bateman calls many contra and English country dances in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. (e-mail only)
- Hilton Baxter began contradancing around 1992 and began calling dances in 1998 and have written a few of his own. He calls in and around Binghamton, New York.
- Benjamin Bean began calling with the Albuquerque Callers Collective in 2013 and has called at dances in several venues in New Mexico. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Bob Beattie is a caller from the Savannah, Georgia area. (e-mail only)
- Along with clogging and being out on the dance floor for international and ballroom dancing, Ron Bell-Roemer, calls from Oregon. Change of URL (June 28, 2015)
- Lissa Bengston started calling in Tulsa in the early 1990's and is now based in San Antonio, Texas.
- Bev Bernbaum calls in Toronto, Canada and other nearby locales.
- Chris Bischoff is
a caller from Taylorsville, Kentucky who also is a storyteller, banjo picker and lawn mower repairman.
- Julie Bishop calls contras and some English with a variety of bands in Australia. (e-mail only)
- Paula Bishop calls in the Asheville, North Carolina area and other venues.
- Eric Black calls in the San Francisco Bay, across the U.S. and across the world.
- Robert Bley-Vroman is a caller in Hawaii.
- Warren Blier is a contra dance caller based in Carmel-by-the-Sea, on the coast of central California. (e-mail only) Change from URL to e-mail (March 14, 2015)
- Craig Bloch is a caller from Tallahassee, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Jacob Bloom leads Klezmer dancing, New England dancing, Contra dancing and Square dancing. He lives in metropolitan Boston.
- Peter Blue calls, plays, and handles sound duties at dances in New York State and other environs. (e-mail only)
- Evo Bluestein calls at dances in northern California along with playing a variety of instruments including oldtime fiddle, button accordion, guitar and banjo.
- April Blum has called in various venues in the Mid-Atlantic (Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia). (e-mail only)
- Tara Bolker calls in places such as Gainesville, Tampa and Tallahassee, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Mike Boerschig calls from Cincinnati, Ohio and lists the elements of five of his dances on this page.
- Erna-Lynne Bogue calls in Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Jim X Borzym calls and leads dances ranging from contras to tango in Colorado. (e-mail only)
- Adam Boyce is a caller and musician from West Windsor, Vermont who primarily does singing squares, along with the Virginia Reel, Portland Fancy, and other formations. He can do old fashioned contra dances with experienced groups.
- Barbara Braley calls in Alaska. (e-mail only) (take the (at) out)
- Jim Brooks is a caller in the St. Paul, Minnesota area. (e-mail only)
- Dave Brown calls in the Buffalo, NY area. (e-mail only)
- Laura Brown is a caller of squares and contras who lives in the downtown of the District of Columbia. (e-mail only)
- Allan Brozek started dancing in the 1950's and has called since the 1960's. He is based in Connecticut.
- Ron Buchanan is a caller from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania but calls and runs workshops in a variety of other locales. (e-mail only)
- Eric Buddington calls and plays music at dances in Western Massachusetts.
- Hanny Budnick is a caller, teacher and MC from Philadelphia with specialties that include English Country Dancing, traditional New England contras, and international family dances. (e-mail only)
- Katherine Bueler, as a caller, loves being a catalyst for dancers’ good times, and tries to be responsive to the energy and desires of the dancers and the musicians to whom these events truly belong. Katherine has been calling contra and community dances for about 10 years, and looks forward to many more. She is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Barrie Bullimore is an experienced caller of American dances, particularly contra, in the UK. (e-mail only (take the (at) out)
- Catherine Burns calls on a regular basis at the Old Sod dances in Ottawa, Ontario. (e-mail for person)
- Wendy Burwell is a caller in the Rochester, New York area. (e-mail only)
- Frank Buschelmann lives in Cincinnati, Ohio and calls there and in other venues in the Midwest. More information is available at the Cincinnati callers page. (e-mail only)
- Cynthia Butcher is a caller from the Albany, New York area. (e-mail only)
- Tom Calwell has been calling in Ontario and upstate New York since 1993.
- Patricia Campbell is a dance leader with experience calling for school, family, and community dances and her repertoire includes New England contradance, Colonial/18th century dance, square and folk dances.
- Connie Carringer has been calling since December of 2008. She primarily calls Contra Dances, but have some experience calling Squares and traditional Appalachian dances as well. She is based in Boone, North Carolina.
- Amy Carroll calls dances for folks of all ages and abilities including kindergarten classes, family weddings, corporate events, bars and at contras and squares at community dances large and small around the Pacific Northwest. She is based in Washington State. New entry (September 19, 2015)
- Ann Carter walked into her first old-time community dance as a college student in 1992, and has never looked back. Since then she has become a dance caller, clogger, musician, and all-around enthusiast for old time music and dance -- which she sees as the one of the world's most joyful endeavors. She is based in the Twin Cities in Minnesota. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Michael Catovsky calls from contras to internataional and everything in between in England.
- Bernie Chalk who has been described as, "...England's foremost caller of American square and contra dances..." calls on a regular basis for the London Barn Dance Company in England.
- Pierre Chartrand is a leading Quebecois step dancer, choreographer and caller for decades and now performs internationally with his group Danse Cadence. He is based in Montreal, Canada.
- Jeremy Child will call at events such as a wedding, a special occasion, a club event, a fundraiser or just wanting to have a good time, from absolute beginners to experienced dancers. He is based in England. New entry (November 28, 2015)
- Yona Chock calls some of the dances in Hawai'i. Added caller URL (June 28, 2015)
- Dan Clark is a caller from the Walla Walla, Washington area. (e-mail only)
- Delia Clark is based in Taftsville, Vermont calling family, community and contra dances. (e-mail only)
- Mike Clark started calling in 1990 in Kalamazoo and has since then branched out to other dance series in southern Michigan and Indiana.
- Enid Cocke calls on a regular basis at the dances in Kansas.
- Phil Coleman calls in the Indianapolis, Indiana area. (e-mail only)
- Dave Colestock is a dance caller and the dance organizer for the Harrisburg, PA contra dance and calls at a number of venues in the
mid-Atlantic states and New England.
- Maureen Collier called in Vancouver, British Columbia on June 6, 2015.
- Paul Collins is a caller of traditional American square and contra dances and an instructor of ethnic folk dance in the Chicago, Illinois area.
- John Combs is a caller from North Carolina (e-mail only).
- Deb Comly was bitten by the contra bug in 1994. She calls in Flagstaff, Arizona and across the Southwest.
- Caller Jan Coray is based in Holland, Michigan.
- Keith Cornett Eustis, now living in South Carolina, has called from coast to coast, several other countries, dance, festivals and weekends.
- David Michael Cottle can be found calling many of the dances in West Jordan, Utah or Pocatello, Idaho.
- Mike Courthold is a contra caller and Chippenham Festival dance organiser in England. (e-mail only (take the (at) out)
- Besides formulating his heavy duty contra dance data base, Ted
Crane calls in Ithaca, New York and other places.
- Robert Cromartie is a caller from Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (e-mail only)
- Geoff Cubitt is a wondrous caller of contras and decidedly devilish squares in the UK. Change from e-mail to URL (November 28, 2015)
- Dudley Culp is a caller in the Asheville, North Carolina area. (e-mail only)
- Caller Pat Czar is from the Sanford, Florida area. (e-mail only)
- Bob Dalsemer is a caller from Brasstown, North Carolina.
- Susan Dankovich calls in the Spokane, Washington area. (e-mail only)
- Rhodri Davies is a magical contra caller at home on both sides of the Atlantic and resides in England. Change from e-mail to URL (November 28, 2015)
- Susan Davis calls at dances in Atlanta, Georgia and other locales. (e-mail only)
- Chrissy Davis-Camp calls teaches and calls dances all around the southeast U.S.; English Country Dance, Contra Dance, Community Dance for all ages. She is based in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Sargon de Jesus is contra dance caller based in Arlington, Virginia (near Washington, DC).
- Harry Delugach calls from Huntsville, Alabama.
- Brian DeMarcus lives in Eagle River, Alaska and has been calling contra and square dances since 1971. In addition, he plays in several old-time, cajun and zydeco bands. (e-mail only)
- Deborah Denenfeld calls on a regular basis near her home in Kentucky and is involved in a number of dance activities including Dancing Well: The Soldier Project. New entry (October 11, 2016)
- Mary DesRosiers calls dances often in New Hampshire and she travels to other parts of the country for dances. (e-mail only)
- Mary Devlin calls contra dances and English country dances in the Portland, Oregon area and other parts of the country.
- Kat Difoxfire teaches and calls Irish set and ceili dancing, and American Contra dancing. She has been leading the Central Missouri Celtic Arts Association set/ceili dance club. (e-mail only)
- Roger Diggle is a caller from Madison, Wisconsin who can call a dance and accompany himself by whistling. He also plays guitar. (e-mail only)
- Steve Dodd is a caller in the Asheville, North Carolina area. (e-mail only)
- Eddie Doss calls in and around Nashville. (e-mail only)
- Luke Donforth is a contra caller and choreographer based in Burlington, VT; and is willing to travel to share his love of dancing. Facebook page
- Susan Downs is a caller and one of the organizers of the dance in Bartlesville. (e-mail only)
- Jan Drechsler is a caller who once lived in New Jersey and now lives in Vermont. (e-mail only)
- Bob Duffy called at the Indianapolis, Indiana dance on December 16, 2014.
- Barry Dupen is a
contra dance composer and caller from Columbia City, Indiana (near
Fort Wayne). (e-mail only)
- Sue Dupré is a caller from New Jersey.
- Karen Dunnam calls throughout Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. She specializes in historic re-enactments and special event dances, with afocus on getting beginners up and having fun. Change of URL (August 22, 2015)
- Barry Dupen learned to call and write contra dances in Charlotte, North Carolina in the mid 1990s and now lives in Indiana, having helped start the dance series in Goshen and Fort Wayne. New entry (October 11, 2016)
- Charlie Dyer lives in Jacksonville, Florida and calls English country dance and contra dance in north and central Florida.
- Larry Edelman from
Colorado calls and plays at dances in Colorado and other environs.
Contra Dance/Contradance Links for Callers
- Dennis Edmiston
calls in the Atlanta, Georgia area. (e-mail only)
- Susan Elberger calls contras, squares and circles from Eastern Massachusetts. (e-mail only)
- Michigan caller Susan
English fell in love with international folk dance in the 1960s and taught her first dance class on a rooftop in China in 1980. Discovering contras and competitive swing dance in Washington, DC, Susan has called monthly contra dances since 1990 and now calls on a regular basis at the Wooster, OH dance.
- Joseph Erhard-Hudson
calls in Moscow/Pullman, Idaho and in Spokane, Washington. (e-mail
- Eric Erhardt calls contra and English, instructs couples dance, and organizes dance in New Mexico, traveling widely for dancing and community building. He is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- David Ernst calls
at dances in Indiana. (e-mail only)
- Keith Cornett Eustis has called from coast to coast, in several other countries, at camps, festivals, weekends, local dances, and special celebrations. She is based in South Carolina. New entry (October 11, 2016)
- Nan Evans calls
contra dances and English Country dances in the Pacific Northwest.
- Jane Ewing is from
the Huntsville, Alabama, area and calls there and in other locales
across the South and sometimes in other parts of the United States.
- Maine-based Joseph Fabian calls dances, family events, contras and beginning square dances. Square and fun dances for all ages are his specialty. (e-mail only)
- Eleanor Fahrney
calls for any group, but especially loves calling for families and
kids (even middle schoolers!). She call contras, squares, circles,
longways sets and is based in Colorado. (e-mail only)
- Ann Fallon calls in and
around the Maryland and also teaches waltz. (e-mail only, take out
'at' to properly use the e-mail)
- Charlie Fenton is a caller
from the San
Francisco, California area. (e-mail only although the web page
has other contact info)
- Tina Fields calls contras and barn dances, and also leads singing groups in Boulder and along the Front Range of Colorado.
- Bill Fischer has been calling dances for over twenty-five years and lives in Connecticut.
- Robin Fischer s a fiddler and square dance caller based in Berkeley, CA. Her fiddling is rooted in old-time, bluegrass, and country styles. She calls square dances in the traditional southern fashion - no levels, no prerecorded music, just a live band and emphasis on the party. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Heiner Fishcle is a caller based in Hannover, Germany and has written several essays (in German and English) on contra dancing.
- Penn Fix resides in Spokane, Washington and calls contras and New England squares as well as composes contra dances. He is the founder of Lady of the Lake Dance and Music Camps. (e-mail only) New entry (April 2, 2015)
- Don Flaherty, from New
Jersey, calls and in Pennsylvania. (e-mail only)
- Kim Forry calls
circles, squares and contras in the Maryland area. (e-mail only
(change the at))
- Kay Forsyth is the chief
caller for the dances in Logan, Utah.
- Based in Maine, Chrissy Fowler calls at for contras, family dances, weddings and other joy-filled occasions.
- Frank Francalanza is a contra dance caller and couples dance instructor from Owen Sound, Ontario (e-mail only). New entry (June 11, 2016)
- Nils Fredland is a
teacher and caller of contra dances, traditional squares, and
community family dances. You might also see him appear as a musician
-- trombonist, vocalist, or bass player. He is based in New Hampshire.
- John Freeman lives in Massachusetts on Martha's Vineyard and calls contra and square dances, family dances, school
dances, and Civil War balls. He also leads caller workshops and music
and dance workshops for teachers and students. (e-mail only) Change in location (July 29, 2017)
- Mitchell Frey calls contra
and English Country dances along with teaching calling workshops in
Idaho and other environs. (e-mail only)
- Brooke Friendly has been folk and country dancing for more than 30 years and has taught since 1982. She is based in Oregon.
- Greg Frock lives in
Maryland and calls there and over the border in places such as State College, Pennsylvania. (e-mail
only for direct contact)
- Rich Futyma calls in New York State and nearby locales.
- Ken Gall lives in Indianapolis and has called throughout the Midwest and is extending his range to the Northwest United States.
- Chuck Galt calls in and around Petaluma, Santa Rosa, San Rafael, San Francisco, and other places in California.
- Hailing from Severna Park, Maryland, Alan Gedance calls in
many states. (e-mail only)
- While located in Pennsylvania, Steve Gester calls there and a
number of other places.
- Rhiannon Giddens calls and
plays (fiddle and other instruments) at contra dances and is based in
Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Not limiting herself to contra dance calling, Suzanne Girardot also teaches
clogging and other step-dance styles, as well as some couple dances
and Cajun dance in the Seattle, Washington area. (e-mail only)
- Margaret Glenn has called dances in the Cleveland and New York areas for the last 20 years.
- David Glick is a caller in North Carolina. He has also called across the upper Midwest and in Canada. (e-mail only) Change of e-mail address (February 6, 2016)
- Pam Goddard is a caller from
the Ithaca, New York area.
- Steve Gold calls from
the Detroit, Michigan area. (e-mail only)
- Ric Goldman calls at dances in the San Francisco bay area.
- Judy Goldsmith is
a caller from Kentucky along with being an avid bicyclist and Morris dancer.
- Brenda Goodwin calls in
Salt Lake City, Utah. (e-mail only)
- Mark Goodwin has
been calling contras since 2001 and calls at the monthly contra dance
series on second Saturdays in Chico, California, along with other contra dance series in Northern California, and for occasional barn dances and parties. (e-mail only)
Goodyear calls in Walhalla, South Carolina and in Texas on a
- Adina Gordon calls at dances throughout the southeastern United States and beyond, delighting dancers with her energy and enthusiasm.
- Yonina Gordon is
from the New York City area and calls English Country and contra
dances in and around the greater metro area. (e-mail only)
- Jean Gorrindo is a caller in California. Change to URL (June 18, 2015)
- Rich Goss is a caller and
musician based in Portland, Oregon who calls on the West Coast, Texas, and all over.
- Wendy Graham of Durango, Colorado has been dancing, writing and calling folk dances for 15 years throughout Kentucky, Washington D.C., New York, New England, and the 4 corners of the Southwest. Change of URL (February 19, 2015)
- Amy Gravitz
is a caller in the Rochester, New York area. (e-mail only)
- Al Green calls at events ranging from a high level workshop for experienced dancers to a family party with all ages dancing together in a simple fun way. He is based in England. New entry (November 28, 2015)
- Beth Gray and Dennis Kempthorne
call at the Greentown, Ohio dance on the second Saturday of the month. (e-mail only)
- Richard and Pam Green are dance callers for contradances, community and family dances, weddings, birthday parties, or any special occasion. They are based in Maine. (e-mail only)
Green, of England, calls at barn dances at a number of venues.
- The Houston Area Traditional Dance Society provides information
Greenhill calls on a regular basis in Hamilton, Ontario.
- Lisa Greenleaf is a caller
from central Massachusetts, but calls across the nation and beyond.
- Joy Greenwolfe is based in Durham, North Carolina and calls there and other environs.
- Jim Gregory calls
on a regular basis at the dance series in Granby, Connecticut. He lives in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Jacqui Grennan regularly calls contra dances in the Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, CA, area. She likes to travel for dancing and calling. New entry (February 24, 2017)
- From New York, Gail
Griffith has been calling for 20 years, specializing in bringing
traditional music and dance to beginners. She calls English and Welsh
barn dances, and contradances.
- Jerome Grisanti moved to Marhyville, Missouri in 2006 and has been calling in the Kansas City and Lawrence area dances and before that in the Louisville region, including Lexington and Cincinnati, and has ventured as far as Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Georgia and North Carolina to call dances since 2002.
- A resident of Asheville, North Carolina, Barbara Groh has been
calling contra dances all over the East coast since 1989.
- Chart Guthrie is a
caller out on Long Island, New York associated with LITMA. (e-mail
- Christine Hale hails from Connecticut and calls there and in Massachusetts.
- Ed Hall is based in
Colorado, but has called from Washington State to Vermont. (e-mail
- Michael Hamilton stepped off the dance floor and behind the microphone at his local dance in Peninsula, Ohio in 2008. He began dancing in college and, under the mentorship of Carol Kopp, is a mainstay caller in the northeast Ohio dance communities. He calls for local dances throughout Ohio and further afield (including PA, NY, KY, WI, IL, and GA), and has called for several dance weekends.
- Brian Hamshar has been calling up and down the East Coast from Maine to Florida and to the north Mid-West. Brian is also known as DJ B-Ham, and has called and DJ'ed for many dance communities and weekends. He is based in Central Virginia. Change from e-mail to URL (September 25, 2016)
- Susan Hankin called at the dance in Arden, Delaware on November 3, 2013. She is based in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Keith Harding (e-mail only)
calls from Lexington, Kentucky.
- Rob Harper calls in the Atlanta, Georgia area. (e-mail only)
- Eric Harris lives
in Tampa, Florida and calls throughout the state. (e-mail only)
- Lisa Harris lives in Lawrence, Kansas, and calls frequently in various cities in her region and beyond. (e-mail only)
- Besides providing support for a variety of dances and organizations in New Hampshire by maintaining web pages for them, Richard Hart also calls at dances. (e-mail only)
- When Kelsey Hartman is calling, she considers herself a conduit between the dancers and the band, helping to channel the joy of the musicians' music through flowing, interesting dances. She is based in Hayward, California. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Bruce Hartmann is a caller based in Winter Park, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Charley Harvey, founding
member of Berea, Kentucky's monthly contra dance has relocated to
Asheville, North Carolina. A caller since 1992, Charley has called
throughout the mid-Atlantic.
- Jim Hawkins calls in Springfield and around the Missouri area. (e-mail only)
- Don Heinold is available for dances, weddings, celebrations and parties! MC and caller for your time for fun and frolic! He is based in Rhode Island. e-mail. New entry (January 4, 2015)
- Katy Heine is from
Ithaca, New York and has been calling since 1989 in the region
including Rochester, Binghamton, Syracuse, Cooperstown, and
- Valerie Helbert has been calling dances for more than five years at venues ranging from K-4 schools to Glen Echo, Maryland. She is based in Durham, NC. New entry (May 1, 2017)
- Vicki Herndon calls on a regular basis at the dances in Tennessee and throughout the southeastern United States.
- Peggy Hesley calls in Arizona and beyond.
- Jerry Hickman is based
in Midland, Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Scott Higgs is a caller
from the Philadelphia area.
- Tom Hinds has been calling
squares and contras since 1984 and is based in Charlottesville,
Virginia. (e-mail only)
- Cis Hinkle is a
caller from Atlanta, Georgia who has delighted contra and square dancers since 1985 with her skilled teaching, welcoming manner, playful enthusiasm, and masterful selection of dances. She is has called at music and dance festivals all over the US, England, and Denmark.
- Myra Hirschberg calls
regularly in Ontario and upstate New York.
- Ted Hodapp calls
from the Washington, D.C. area along with participating in dance groups and engaging in a variety of social dances.
- Jef Hodge calls in
Alabama. (e-mail only)
- Along with calling, Pat Hoekje is one of the organizers for the Bayside Travellers Country Dance Society in Michigan. (e-mail only)
- From Oakland, California, Erik Hoffman calls dances,
especially in Berkeley,
but also from California to Alaska to Denmark and England, and writes
about contra dances.
Holland is a caller living in Connecticut and is known for
calling medleys that change each time through the dance.
- Eric Hollman lives just outside of New Paltz in Highland, New York and is a frequent caller in the Mid-Hudson Valley. (e-mail only)
- Keith Holmes is a Houston-based caller whose calling style is enjoyed by contra dancers throughout Texas. Check the San Antonio dancers for more information.
- Rickey Holt is calls in New Hampshire and is a regular participant at the dance in Exeter, NH. (e-mail only)
- Richard Hopkins is a caller from Tallahassee, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Steve Horn is a caller in the
Dallas, Texas area. (e-mail only)
- Bob Howell calls in the Ohio
area. He is also one of the co-authors of Dancing for Busy People.
(e-mail only for Bob, the book has a website)
- Donna Howell who
formerly called in Arizona, California and Texas is now back home in
New Mexico and calls dances in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. (e-mail only)
- Talib Huff calls in
California. (e-mail only)
- Adam Hughes calls Ceilidhs, and Barn Dances, and Contra dances, and Playford Dances and... all in England.
- Sue Hulsether calls contras, squares, family dances, and school events Minnesota and Wisconsin along with being an Artist in Residence for schools with traditional American dance and music. Facebook page. Change in URL (June 15, 2015)
- Colin Hume,
based in England, calls at dances, camps and festivals there and in
the United States.
Hunn calls on a regular basis in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Donna Hunt lives in Pennsylvania and calls at a number of dances in the area. Change from e-mail to web site (September 19, 2015)
- Michael Ismerio plays fiddle and calls at dances across the country but makes his home in Barnardsville, North Carolina. New entry (July 2, 2016)
- Carol Jacobs has been
calling in the Ann Arbor area since 2002, and has been an avid contra
dancer since 1980. She also calls Family dances and English country
dances. (e-mail only)
- Phil Jamison is Assistant Director of the Swannanoa Gathering and coordinator of Old-Time Music & Dance Week along with performing over the last twenty-five years at many festivals.
- From the Amherst area, Jack Janssen calls contra dances. (e-mail only)
- Frank Jenkins is a
caller from Berea, Kentucky. (e-mail only)
- Besides his nifty contra pages including a clickable map, Dwayne Johnson is a caller
in Kentucky and has called for more than 20 years.
- Mike Jones has been calling contra dances since 1998 in southern Ontario (his home) and northern New York.
- JoLaine Jones-Pokorney calls all over Florida and is looking to get beyond the Florida borders and expand her calling horizons.
- Amy Kahn is a caller in
the Rochester, New York area. (e-mail only)
- Loren Kalmen calls
periodically in Nevada and other locations. (e-mail only)
- Andy Kane calls traditional Contra, Square and Circle Dance for all groups and ages in Florida and other areas.
Standifer Karamanski calls in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Michael Karcher has been having the time of his life calling around the U.S. and Canada since 2011. He has honed a warm and concise style of teaching and calling, to the delight of dancers across North America. He is based in Washington State. New entry (May 14, 2017)
- Rich Katz calls in the area around Tampa, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Jeff Kaufman occasionally calls contras along with a variety of other pursuits. He is based in eastern Massachusetts. Change of URL (September 25, 2016)
- Living in Massachusetts, you can now find David Kaynor at his new web
site. He is a contra dance caller and fiddler and the author of
Calling for Beginners by Beginners.
- Old Man Kelly calls dances and plays music in Virginia and other locales. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Susie Kendig often calls
in the Santa Cruz, California area. (e-mail only)
- Ridge Kennedy is a caller
based in New Jersey. (e-mail only)
- Dot Kent of Grayslake, Illinois, called at the Beloit, Wisconsin dance on February 21, 2015 and calls at other dances in the region.
- Caller Chris Kermiet, living in the Denver, Colorado area, now has his own web site.
- Susan Kevra is contra, square and English dance caller, musician and singer currently residing in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Jonathan King is based in Gainesville, Florida and calls in the north Florida area.
- Richard King calls from Lexington, Kentucky (e-mail only).
- Jim Kitch, of Pennsylvania, spends much of his spare time volunteering with the Heritage Dance Association in Philadelphia. (e-mail only)
- Tim Klein is a caller from
Knoxville, Tennessee. (e-mail only).
- Cassie Knight, from
Madison, Wisconsin, is known for calling contras and Scandinavian
dances. (e-mail only)
- Van Knowles is a
caller from Lexington, Kentucky (e-mail only).
- Toby Koosman calls
from Knoxville, Tennessee. (e-mail only)
- Carol Kopp calls at a number of the North East Ohio
Community dances and is into he third decade of calling dances.
- Caller Jeremy Korr is based in the Los Angeles, California area. (e-mail only)
- Kirston Koths calls on a
regular basis at the East Bay dance in
California. (e-mail only)
- Caller and musician John Krumm has been performing for almost four decades for contras, squares, swing dancing and English dancing with knowledge from the U.S., Quebec and the British Isles. He is based in Pennsylvania.
- Pete LaBerge began calling square dances in 1975 in Southeastern Pennsylvania and Philadelphia. Pete’s calling style emphasizes easy-to-learn figures that encompass traditional community dance styles from New England through the South. He now lives in Aiken County, South Carolina. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Denise Lair is a caller from Charlottesville, Virginia. (e-mail only)
- Art Lane often calls at the Reno, Nevada dance. (e-mail only)
- Veronica Lane is dancer, dance caller/organizer, musician, and band leader whose favorite dance styles are Israeli, English country dancing, contra, waltz, and international. She is based in Florida. New entry (October 11, 2016)
- Oregon's Woody Lane is an accomplished percussive dancer and usually does some stepdancing when he calls. Change of URL (June 11, 2016)
- Joanna Laney of Birmingham, Alabama calls on a regular basis in that area. (e-mail only)
- Mark Langner is a caller from Asheville, North Carolina. (e-mail only).
- Cindy Larock is a dance instructor/caller, specializing in contras-for-beginners (both New
England and French Canadian), along with a variety of other dance types. She is based in Maine. (e-mail only)
- Kathyrn Larson is a caller and teacher of community dances, family dances, dance parties regularly calling at the second Saturday Wescustogo Hall dance in North Yarmouth, Maine. (e-mail only)
- Jacqueline & Dudley Laufman
call and play fiddles (as Two Fiddles) from New Hampshire.
- Over the past 15 years John Legge has enthusiastically embraced several dance styles, including contra, English country, international, Scandinavian, modern Western squares, two-step, and country-western line dance in and around Grand Rapids, Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Jacob LeGrone is a caller based in the Charlotte, North Carolina area and the developer of the CDSS Dance Map. New entry (March 14, 2015)
- Tom Lehmann began contra dancing after many years of "Modern Western" square dancing as well as occasional folk dancing, round dancing, etc. and now calls on a occasion. He lives in the San Francisco Bay area.
- Peter Leibert is from Connecticut and has been a caller and musician for more than 45 years.
- Linda Leslie calls
from the New Bedford, Massachusetts area (e-mail only)
- Carl Levine is an English Country Dance and contra dance teacher/caller who is based in New York City but has called dances in Ann Arbor, New Haven, Troy, Wayne, at the LITMA dance in Smithtown, at NOMAD and at various CDSS dance camps.
- Seth Levine calls squares and contras and is based in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Julie Levy-Weston lives in Lansing, Michigan, started contra dancing in 1992, and started calling in 1997. She favors dances that flow and tries to teach carefully and concisely.
- Tamara Loewenthal has been performing and teaching various styles of American and Celtic step dance for over 20 years and is based in Bloomington, Indiana.
Ludeman is one of the main callers at the Mesilla, New Mexico dance.
- Archie Maclellan calls contra, English and ceilidh dances and is based in Prescott, Arizona. (e-mail only (replace the "[at]" with @)).
- Carl Magagnosc calls from
Santa Barbara, California. (e-mail only)
- Shelagh Maguire calls in
and around Vancouver, British Columbia. (e-mail only)
- Abigail Malone calls at the monthly dance in McKinney, Texas and plans to branch out to events in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. (e-mail only) New entry (March 28, 2015)
- Nancy Mamlin, who lives in North Carolina, has since 1989 played string bass with a number of different groups, and have been calling at dances all over the country.
- Robbin L. Marcus a contra dance caller and musician along with being a piano teacher of students of all ages. he regularly leads contra dances both in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic and is based in Atlanta, Georgia. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Frannie Marr has been regularly calling for contra dances since 2008. She started out calling in the Los Angeles area and now call all over the country. She has called weekends in Seattle, Oregon and the SF Bay Area along with NEFFA, NW Folklife and CATAPULT! Change from e-mail to URL (June 8, 2016)
- Vickie Marron is a caller
from Idaho. (e-mail only)
- George Marshall is
best known as a musician and caller for Swallowtail and Wild
Asparagus but also calls with a number of other bands from time to
time. He is based in Western Massachusetts. (e-mail only)
- Margaret Mathews is a caller and musician from the Rochester, NY area. (e-mail only)
- Mark Matthews, of Missoula, Montana is a country dance caller and instructor for experienced New England contra dances and family dances. In addition, you can call him at 406-203-3933. (link is to e-mail)
- Kim McCall calls from San
- Rachel McCandliss is a part-time caller, full-time medical student based in Atlanta, GA. She also organizes fundraising auctions while at dance camps and weekends. In her free time, she dabbles in mandolin, sings in her local choir, and avidly crochets. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Maia McCormick is contradance caller and choreographer based in New York City. She has been calling in and around the Northeast since 2012. New entry (September 25, 2016)
McCullough calls in Vermont and other locales and runs the Contracopia (Purveyor of fine
contra dance music CDs). He is setting up his van as a mobile office,
so you may see him in your community some day.
- Will McDonald contra danced several times a week living in Boston in the 1980s. When he moved to Santa Fe in 1989 he helped start the dance there. As a caller he tries to encourage fun and community with gratitude to all who have danced and played in this joyful tradition. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Paula McFarling calls on
a regular basis in Columbia, Missouri along with calling in St. Louis
and Kansas City.
- Mavis McGaugh calls contras in Northern California and Nevada along gender-free dances, family dances and dance parties. (e-mail only)
- John McIntire calls traditional and contemporary New England style contras, squares and circles and usually calls for the regular 1st Saturday dance in Norridgewock, Maine. (e-mail only)
- Mac McKeever calls at the St. Louis, Missouri dance and
at other venues. (e-mail only)
- From California, Greg
McKenzie calls contra dances. (e-mail only).
- Drake Meadow is a caller and dance organizer based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (e-mail only)
- John Meechan
is praised equally for his work with absolute beginners who confess
to having two left feet through to the real experts who relish in the
challenge and complexity of John's more complicated dances. He is
based in Warwickshire, England.
- Greg Meisner is a cantra dance caller and Morris dancer from the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. (e-mail only)
- Tavi Merrill is a caller, Boston-bred, Maine-trained, now a Tucson transplant. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Will Mentor, from
Cambridge, Massachusetts calls in the area and all around the United
States. (e-mail only)
- Susan Michaels
calls in the Los Angeles area and at camps and festivals up and down
the Pacific coast. (e-mail only)
- Joyce Miller calls from the Sierra foothills to the San Francisco Bay area to Reno, Nevada with contras, squares, easy longways dances and mixers in her repertoire. (e-mail only)
- Mike Miller is
from Syracuse, New York, but also calls out in the Great Lakes
region. (e-mail only)
- Reid Miller calls contra, square, circle, wedding, and school program dances around Madison, WI, and mostly through Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Colorado. He also composes dances; plays tenor banjo, mandolin and ukulele; and tells stories in schools, libraries, fairs, festivals, theaters, and the like.
- Janet Mills calls on a frequent basis at the Princeton, New
- David Millstone, from New Hampshire, started contra dancing in the early 1970s and has been calling dances for more than thirty years. He also enjoys calling for family dances, weddings and other special events, and English country dances.
- Alice Milmoe, from Tampa, Florida, calls on a regular basis in the southern United States. (e-mail only)
- Marcia Minear calls at many of the dances in Ames, Iowa. (e-mail only)
- Sylvia Miskoe is a caller
and musician from New Hampshire. (e-mail only)
- Jack Mitchell is contra and square dance caller and dancer based in Durham, NC and has called on a regular basis since 2002. New entry (October 11, 2016)
- Susan Moffet is a caller
in Kentucky. (e-mail only)
- Rick Mohr is a contra dance caller and fiddler from eastern Massachusetts.
- Beth Molaro is a caller
from North Carolina who calls contra dances in a number of places
(from Arizona to Denmark).
- For the last twenty years, Gregory Moore has been calling dances mostly in midcoast Maine. (e-mail only)
- Paul Moore is
a caller in North Carolina. (e-mail only)
- Henry Morgenstein
calls, writes essays about contra dancing, and organizes contra dance
trips and camps in the United States and England. In the United
States, he is based in Michigan.
- Michigan caller Glen Morningstar calls dances for beginning to advanced dancers in a range of settings from school artist-in-residence to Saturday Night Contra & Square Dances to wedding receptions to scout camps to traditional dance camps across the USA, Europe & Scandinavia.
- Alice Morris calls traditional and modern contras, mostly in New Hampshire, but travels, too. (e-mail only)
- Based in Swannanoa, North Carolina Hank Morris calls in the area and
elsewhere. (e-mail only)
- Lindsay Morris (e-mail
only) calls in the Lexington, Kentucky area.
- Vicki Morrison calls contra dances all over Florida and lives in Tallahassee. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Roy Moye calls at dances and festivals in and around Orlando, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Linda Mrosko has been calling contra dances all over Texas (and Oklahoma) for over 15 years.
- Joyce Murlless is a caller
from the Savannah, Georgia area. (e-mail only)
- Danika Murray began
calling in the spring of 2001 and in these past few years she has
traveled to call dances throughout Michigan (including Clawson, Ann
Arbor, Traverse City), to Indiana, Illinois and even Barcelona,
Spain. (e-mail only)
Murray is a traditional dance caller in metropolitan Washington,
- Richard Myers calls
old-time circle, square, contra and folk dances in Colorado. (e-mail
- Lonna Nachtigal calls on a regular basis in Ames, Iowa. (e-mail only)
- Hannah Naiman has been dancing for more than 20 years, teaching and leading folk dances for over 6 years. She is based in Toronto, Ontario.
- Becky Nankivell, is based in Long Beach, California and calls in the area. (e-mail only) Change in location (July 19, 2017)
- Gary Nelson from
Asheville, North Carolina, calls in both Carolinas and other places,
too. (e-mail only)
- Andrea Nettleton is caller in Atlanta, Georgia and calls there and at other venues in the southeastern U.S. You can reach her at (404) 713-1543. (e-mail only)
- While based in Seattle, Sherry Nevins has called as far east as Rochester, NY. (e-mail only)
- New England Dancing
Masters is made up of Andy Davis, Mary Cay Brass, and Peter and
Mary Alice Amidon.
Newitt calls at dances in Northern California.
- Rae Newowman frequently calls in area near North Miami, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Bob Nicholson calls from the Syracuse, New York area.
Nightingale is a caller of high energy contras and squares in
England. (e-mail only (take the (at) out)
- Joey Norton is a caller from Tampa, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Caroline Oakley is a square dance caller and fiddler in Portland, Oregon.
- Bob O'Brien teaches waltz workshops and has called a first Friday monthly contra dance with his band, the Coyote ContraBand, since 1996 in Sacramento, California. (e-mail for caller; web site for band)
- Ken Olcott calls in and around San Francisco. (e-mail only)
- Bill Olson's Contra Corner includes some musings on contradancing and dance compositions.
- Carol Ormand is a caller in Wisconsin, and has been calling dances since the spring of 1990, and has called at dances, weekends, and festivals all over the United States (and once in Denmark!). She includes some dance compositions on her page.
- Lisa Ornstein is
a caller from Chicago. She organizes dances, hosts the Celebration
Dance Weekend in Indianapolis and a dance jam series in Chicago.
- Howard Ostby calls in the Walla Walla, Washington area. (e-mail only)
- Hannah Otten is a Maine-based contra dance caller and native of Upstate New York. She has been instructing dancers for nearly nine years, first in Irish Step ceili sessions as a young dancer herself and now as a contra dance caller. She has called in New York State and New England.
- DeLaura Padovan is based in Virginia and has calls at many of the
dances in the Norfolk,
Virginia area and is one of the founders of the dance in Fredericksburg,
- While Chris Page originally learned to dance and call in Glenside, Philadelphia, he now lives and calls in the San Diego area.
- Bill Paine is a caller
from Gainsville, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Deanna Palumbo is a teacher and caller of contra dances, traditional squares, community family dances and social folk dances and is based in Georgia. New entry (June 18, 2015)
- Roween Panning calls in Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Frederick Park,
from Swannanoa, North Carolina, calls contras and everything from
English country dance to Cajun French two-step and waltz for more
than 35 years.
- Beth Parkes is a
caller who regularly calls at the 3rd Saturday dance in Concord,
- Tony Parkes is a
caller from Massachusetts and is the author of Contra Dance
Calling: A Basic Text.
- Dana Parkinson is a contra dancer turned contra caller in St. Petersburg, Florida. Facebook page. Change in URL (January 6, 2017)
- Dan Pearl, from
Massachusetts, is a caller for contra dances, square dances, and
other types of folk dance. (e-mail only)
- Ruth Pershing calls
in North Carolina on a regular basis, co-runs the Family Dance series
in Chapel Hill, through the Triangle Country Dancers and calls,
teaches, and participates in southern flatfloot and clogging in the
area and at various dance camps and weeks. (e-mail only)
- Susan Petrick is a caller
based in Santa Cruz, California, but calls all along the Pacific
coast and has called in the Ohio River valley. (e-mail only)
- Jeffrey Petrovich lives in New Hampshire and calls throughout the state and in other parts of New England.
- Cynthia Phinney calls at dances in Maine at places like Skowhegan and West Farmington and other dances from time to time. (e-mail only)
- Carol Piening called at the Olympia, Washington dance on May 7, 2015.
- Laurie Pietravalle is an avid dancer, dance caller, and dance organizer and is based in Michigan. New entry (June 11, 2016)
- Steve Pike, from Madison, Wisconsin, called at the Madison, Wisconsin dance on January 17, 2015.
- Joseph J. Pimentel, Jr.
calls at dances all across the country and is based in Washington, D.C.
- Lori Pimentel lives in Salt Lake City, Utah and calls dances in the Utah/Idaho area. (e-mail only)
- Charlie Pineda is based
in Maryland and calls there and in other Atlantic states. He started
calling in 1990 and discovered contras in 1993. (e-mail only)
- Warren Pollans
calls from Boca Raton, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Edna Poore is a caller in Lansing, Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Bill Pope calls in Ohio and nearby states and shares with the beginning dancers his enthusiasm for contra, and programs dance evenings that balance more forgiving dances with some of the more challenging ones.
- Kate Power has been a contra dance caller in Columbus, Ohio since 2003 and is available for everything from dances to family reunions.
- Debo Powers is a caller in Tallahassee, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Elinor Preston has been calling contras, squares, circles and English Country Dances since 1988 and is from Portland, Oregon.
- Stan Prince calls in and around Tampa, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Marlin Prowell from Bellingham, Washington, calls there and elsewhere in the area. (e-mail only)
- Martha Quigley is caller from the Dallas, Texas area. (e-mail only (take out the (at)))
- Barbara Ramlow calls in the Lexington, Kentucky area. (e-mail only)
- Celia Ramsay calls at a wide variety of venues in California along with playing jazz and Scottish music. Change from e-mail to URL (January 6, 2017)
- Cary Ravitz is a caller from Lexington, Kentucky who along with writing the essays Notes on Calling Contra Dances and Notes on Choreography for Duple Minor Improper Contra Dances keeps an extensive links about contra dancing.
- Audun Reitzel calls traditional American square and contra Dancing in New England style, singing calls, and traditional/transitional western style, with a wide repertoire of dances, suitable for beginning to advanced dancers. He is based in Denmark.
- Dale Rempert calls in
Texas including Austin and Houston. (e-mail for the caller)
- Chris Ricciotti calls
contras and squares, and international & English Country Dancing. He
specializes in Gender-Free Calling and Teaching, as well as community
dances. He is based in eastern Massachusetts. (e-mail only)
- Frances Richardson has called at all the major Festivals in the United Kingdom, plus dance weekends and Saturday nights. (e-mail only) New entry (September 8, 2016)
- Mark Richardson is a
caller from Bloomington, Indiana. (e-mail only)
Richardson, a caller and musician from the Seattle, Washington
- Bryon Ricker
calls and runs a number of dances in the northern part of New
Hampshire. He is also an active member of the White Mountain Folklore
Association. (e-mail only)
- Kim Roberts can be found both near and far from her home in Industry, Maine calling contra dances, family dances, and other gather 'round and dance events. (e-mail only)
- Sue Robishaw calls dances for both private and public events. She is based in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. New entry (February 15, 2015)
- Tom Roby has been calling and teaching dances (Balkan line dances, improvisational Hungarian dances, and English & American set dances) since at least the mid-1980s. He is based in Connecticut.
- John Rogers calls in the area of Los Angeles, California. (e-mail only)
- Marian Rose calls
contra, square, English, and family dances throughout Canada and the
US and also plays piano and accordion for English and contras. She is
based in Vancouver.
- Stacy Rose calls contra dances, leads International folk dancing, and plays hammered dulcimer/whistle for contra dances. She is based in Oregon. (e-mail only)
- Paul Rosen has been calling dances in Virginia and surrounding states since 1990.
- Sue Rosen has been calling over the past twenty years and had great fun leading country dancing (American, English, family dances and parties) throughout New England, across the country and in Europe.
- Paul Rosenberg
calls a variety of dances (contras, squares, international) at a
variety of venues ranging from Falcon Ridge to family dances.
Rossbach is a caller based in the Syracuse, New York area.
- Charles Roth calls in
Michigan and has an unusual two-sided set of dance cards.
- Chuck Roth calls in Austin, Texas and
other locations. (e-mail only)
- Terry Rouse calls in the
Lawrence, Kansas area. (e-mail only)
- Larry Rowan is a caller
from North Carolina.
- Merri Rudd calls
contras and English country dances around the Southwest and makes "I
don't book ahead" buttons. She is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Susie Rudder is a caller who hails from Gainesville, Florida.
- Emily Rush lives in Carrboro, North Carolina and is best known for the Rushfests, contras danced to recorded music (not a techno contra), but also calls for other types of contras. New entry (August 27, 2015)
- Scott Russell calls at
dances in and around Georgia. (e-mail only)
- Ann Sarmiento resides in Austin, Texas and draws on ten years of dancing experience to fuel her passion of sharing the dance with others. (e-mail only)
- Richard Sauvain is a caller in the Rochester, New York area. (e-mail only)
Saxe calls in California. He is the author of Words and Confusion in Teaching and Calling. (e-mail only)
- Maggie Jo Saylor has been calling contra dances since she was fifteen, and contra dancing since she can remember. She currently resides in Chicago, IL. In recent years she has called at local dances and dance weekends all over the country. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Rich Sbardella resumed calling contras in 2014 after 23 years of calling square dances. He has called throughout New England, and as far away as Florida, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Nevada. He is currently accepting bookings for contras and squares in New England and beyond. You can reach him by e-mail or by calling 860-684-3466. New entry (May 18, 2016)
- Neil Schlein has been calling in Colorado and then Arizona since 1998. He is available to call contras, old time and modern squares, and other assorted things anywhere in Arizona or nearby vicinities. (e-mail only)
- Nora Scott from the
Spokane, Washington area has been calling contras and circle dances
around the Inland Northwest since 1995 and enjoys teaching beginners
and beginning groups. (e-mail only)
- Dave Seboit calls in Michigan and Indiana and is based in Ann Arbor. (e-mail only)
- George Segebade calls
on a regular basis at dances throughout North Carolina. (e-mail only)
- Kristin Seibert has been dancing since birth, and a dance gypsy since high school. She learned to call at age 17 because she thought every dance leader should know how, but once she was on the other side of the mic there was no going back. She lives in Durham, NC, but loves to travel.
- Along with explaining contra
dancing to a wide audience, Gary Shapiro, from the Santa Barbara, California area, also calls contras and leads some English Country Dances. He especially enjoys leading simple dances at wedding receptions or any other kind of party. Change of URL (June 29, 2015)
- Leda Shapiro calls from
California. (e-mail only)
- John Sharlet calls from
Nashville, Tennessee (e-mail only).
- Janet Shepherd calls
from Atlanta, Georgia. (e-mail only).
- Andy Shore calls contra dances as well as Modern Western squares (intro through C1). He is based in Santa Cruz, California. Change in location (January 19, 2016)
- Louise Siddons calls in Oklahoma and elsewhere, both contra and English Country Dance.
Sieverts calls contra dances and family dances along with holding
style workshops and contra calling classes. She is based in New
- Having danced in Ohio and New England, Diane Silver now leads dances
(including squares, clogging and swing) in North Carolina and other
- Paul Silveria calls traditional square dances in the Seattle, Washington area.
- Doug Singleton, from Atlanta, Georgia, calls at a variety of dances in the southeastern United States. (e-mail only (take out the "at"))
Sivier is a caller from the Urbana, Illinois area who has been involved in traditional dance since 1987 and have been leading dances since 1992.
- Charmaine Slaven is a musician, flatfooter, and caller based in Seattle. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Barb Smith is a contra dance and vintage dance caller in Houston, Texas. (e-mail only)
Smukler calls from the Syracuse, New York area.
- George Snyder calls
from Georgia. (e-mail only)
- Lauren Soherr-Hadwiger has been calling dances in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico since she was 10. Her interest in contra dance calling has been nurtured by experienced callers in New Mexico, and she has found a home in a new generation of callers from the Albuquerque area. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Jon Southard is a caller of contra and traditional square dances, based in Santa Barbara, California.
Spero calls in California and has information about his dances and links to dance resources in southern California.
- Nancy Spero is a caller
from the Ithaca, New York area. (e-mail only)
- Caller Linda Starr is based in the Albuquerque, New Mexico area. (e-mail only, replace the AT and DOT).
- Ted Steele calls on a
regular basis in St. Louis,
Missouri and other locales. (e-mail only)
- Along with a fair amount of web page work for dances in Michigan,
Bob Stein also calls
- Amy Steiner calls in Alaska. (e-mail only) (take the (at) out)
- In Germany, Ulla Stern has several decades of experience organizing folk music and dance groups along with calling various types of dances.
- Barbara Stewart calls dances
all over California. (e-mail only)
- Peter Stix calls in the Albany, New York area and other venues. (e-mail only)
- Sandy Strand started
contra dancing in 1983 with the Lawrence, Kansas Barn Dance
Association and started calling contras since 1994 in the environs of Kansas and Missouri. She now is based in Washington State. (e-mail only (take out the AT))
- Wes Sturgis has called in
North and South Carolina since 1998. (e-mail only)
- Bryan Suchenski calls squares and contras in Philadelphia and other locations in the Mid-Atlantic region. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- From Carbondale, Illinois, Joe Surdyk calls in Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri on a
regular basis. (e-mail only)
- Lorraine Sutton does not limit herself to contras on the dance floor, but does call contras in Toronto and other locales. Change of URL (September 5, 2016)
- Rodney Sutton
from North Carolina (e-mail only).
- Andrew Swaine calls and is
involved in a number of dance activities in and around Sheffield,
Sweet has been calling contra and square dances since 1948 and
continues to do so in Enfield, Connecticut and elsewhere.
- T-Claw calls for beginners and well seasoned dancers. T-Claw Calling strives to keep the moves accessible for a mixed crowd, and entertains with ferocious fervor. He is based in Tennessee.
Claw focuses on traditional mountain styles but has many other tricks to employ. New entry (September 25, 2016)
- Melissa Taggart calls Philadelphia area and in New Jersey.
- Claire Takemoricalls a variety of dances including Contras & some Squares. She specializes in family and community dances & enjoys dancing with children. She is located in Campbell, CA and available to travel. New entry (February 24, 2017)
- Kath Tallichet is
based in Louisville, Kentucky and calls there and in Illinois. (e-mail only)
- Susan Taylor is
a caller from the southern Maryland area who considers herself the
hostess of a dance, wherever she may be.
- Seth Tepfer calls
from Atlanta, Georgia and organizes a number of events.
- John Teskey called at the Indianapolis, Indiana dance on April 15, 2014.
- Jim Thaxter calls in Kansas City and Columbia, Missouri and other area dances.
- Don Theyken has been calling dances here in Ann Arbor since the early eighties and is now calling contra dances on the second Saturday of the month at the Webster Church Community Building near Dexter MI.
- J.P. Thom-Gronachon calls and plays music for dances in Arizona.
- Linda Thomas calls from Wilmington, North Carolina. (e-mail only)
- Ryan J. Thomson calls along with being Captain Fiddle playing the Cajun, Zydeco, and Celtic music on his fiddle. He is based in New Hampshire.
- Colin Towns is a specialist in English (from 1650), American Contra and Square, Morris and Sword dancing in Australia. (e-mail only)
- Mark Turbin started calling in the midwest and now lives in Colorado. (e-mail only REMOVE TEXT)
- Chris Turner is a
contradance caller in the UK.
Turner calls English Country and contra dances and lives in
- Lindsay Turnquist
calls often at the Bozeman, Montana dances as well as other locales.
The Bozeman Folklore Society has an interview
with him on their website. (e-mail only for contact)
- Keith Tuxhorn calls in the Austin, Texas area. (e-mail only)
- Martha Tyner is based in Stanford, Illinois and calls at the Hudson, Illinois square dances.
- Darlene Underwood is a caller from Cincinnati, Ohio. Change of URL (February 5, 2015)
- Sherilyn Urben has called English Country, contra and family dances in Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky, New Mexico, and Colorado and is based in New Mexico. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Caller Kari Usher calls and organizes dances in Flagstaff, Arizona. (e-mail only (replace the "[at]" with @)).
- Marcie Van Cleave calls in the New England area. (e-mail only)
- Tom van Deusen calls at dance camps, community dances, weddings, private parties, and other events for adults or children in and around Michigan.
- Tim Van Egmond is a musician, folksinger, caller, and storyteller and a member of Swallowtail. He lives in Massachusetts. New entry (July 9, 2016)
- Martha Vander Kolk is a dance caller from Ypsilanti, Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Sarah VanNorstrand regularly calls at her home dance in Syracuse dance, as well as in Rochester, Oswego, Owego, Buffalo, Cooperstown, Albany and Ithaca along with dances in New England and other venues.
- Eric Vidacovich lives in Richmond, Texas and calls in the Houston area. (e-mail only)
- Sandy Vielmo calls from
Michigan. (e-mail only)
- Ed Vincent is from the Ann Arbor, Michigan area and has been calling contras since 2005 and calls out-of-state, too. His phone number is 734-730-6919. (e-mail only)
- Alan Vlach has been
dancing since 2000 and began calling in 2002 in Michigan. (e-mail
- Maura Volante teaches and calls contra dancing for adults, and offers a program of easy dances for families, mixed-age communities and groups of children. She is based in Ottawa, Canada.
- Rachel Shapiro Wallace is a dance caller who strives to communicate the joy of dancing, whether she is calling at a dance, wedding, or event. She has called throughout the Midwest, Southeast, New England, and her current home, Chicago. New entry (October 11, 2016)
- Bob Walser is from Minneapolis, Minnesota and calls contras and squares and along with playing squeezebox, guitar, banjo and piano for contras and squares. (e-mail only)
- AnneMarie Walter calls at dances throughout the southeastern U.S.
- David Wanless &
Cathy Hutchinson call contras along with a wide variety of other
dances in Tasmania. (e-mail only)
- Robin Warner calls in Michigan.
- Paul Watkins, from
Chicago, Illinois, calls in Chicago and the Fermilab Folk Club just
outside of Chicago on a regular basis. (e-mail only for contact)
- Lucia Watson is one of
the regular callers in Rehoboth and frequently calls at other venues
in southeastern New England. (e-mail only)
- William Watson started his calling career in Texas but now is based in Corvallis, Oregon.
Weatherly calls from Birmingham, Alabama (e-mail only).
- Along with helping folks keep track of the contra dancing scene
in Portland, Oregon, Erik Weberg also
calls dances in the area.
- Kathryn Wedderburn is
based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts and calls throughout New England.
- Chris Weiler is a contra and traditional square dance caller from Goffstown, New Hampshire.
- Erica Weiss plays in bands like the Rhythm Method String Band, Grand Bois Cajun Band, Corndogs and The Killer Bees and is a caller of contras and squares. She is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Dottie Welch calls in Halifax, Nova Scotia for the Contra Time Dances. Telephone: 902-435-4544 - (e-mail only)
- Bill Wellington of radio WOOF is a storyteller, folk musician, songwriter, and dance caller who has entertained audiences throughout America for over twenty five years. He lives in Staunton, Virginia. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Ben Werner started calling in 2013 after moving down to Albuquerque, New Mexico. He grew up contra dancing in upstate New York, and wanted to learn how to call for a number of years. New entry (January 6, 2017)
- Mary Wesley is a dance leader, caller, and organizer for contras, squares, morris, and family and community dances. A native of Vermont, she travels throughout New England and beyond to follow and share her love of dance. Facebook page.
- Marlin Whitaker from Ann Arbor, Michigan calls at dances in the Great Lakes states. (e-mail only)
- Ian Whitehead calls at a variety of dances in England. Change of URL (February 21, 2017)
- Mark Widmer is a caller based in central New Jersey.
- Martha Wild calls dances in San Diego, California. (e-mail only).
- Paul Wilde from Providence, Rhode Island, calls contras and squares in New England and...? (e-mail only)
- Jim Williams calls at many dances in Kansas. (e-mail only)
- Andy Wilson calls at dances, camps and festivals across the country and when not calling, many times can be found at the sound board. He is based in Santa Cruz, California.
- Kenny Wilson calls on a regular basis at the dance in Chagrin Falls and other dances in Ohio. (e-mail only) New entry (September 19, 2015)
- Alan Winston calls contra, community dancing, English, and historically-informed Regency, Early American, and Civil War dances in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. (e-mail only) New entry (June 18, 2015)
- Caller Andrea Woodall is based in Tampa, Florida. (e-mail only)
- Having lived in west Texas for more than 13 years, Reine Wonite now calls in Sitka, Alaska and other venues. New entry (July 16, 2015)
- Stephen Woodcock is a barn dance caller in the West Midlands of England.
- Lucia Wright calls at dances in Upstate New York and New York City. You also reach her at 212-254-3551. (e-mail only)
- Peter Yarensky calls dances in New Hampshire and publishes the monthly Seacoast Country Dance Newsletter.
- Cashy Yates calls on a regular basis at the dance in Wellington, New Zealand.
- Steve Zakon-Anderson is one of the best known callers in New Hampshire, usually calls the first Saturday Peterborough dance, and he travels for dances in other states, as well. He also runs the Fiddleheads Cafe, in Hancock, New Hampshire. (e-mail only)
- While the list of his dances is gone, you can still e-mail Eric Zorn.
- Claire Zucker calls and clogs, many times with Round the House, in Arizona. Change of URL (February 19, 2015)
This page is part of the Contrdancelinks.com web site. For more information about contra dancing, visit these other site pages:
Sites and Pages
Contra Dance Links Home Page
Rehoboth, MA | New
England | Mid-Atlantic
South Atlantic |
South Central | Great Lakes | Great Plains
Rocky Mountains | Pacific | Canada | Rest
of the World
Resources | All Bands and Musicians | All Callers | What's New
Festivals, Weekends, Camps, etc.
Waltzes and Scandinavian Dances |
Traditional and Old-Time Square Dances
Community Bands and Open Bands |
Open Caller Opportunities
Contra Dance Cookies
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Mexico* |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Dakota** |
West Virginia |
*The Colorado link will bring you to Dancing on the Web. The Maine link will bring you to the Downeast Friends of the Folk Arts. The New Mexico link will bring you to the New Mexico Folk Music and Dance Society. The Utah link will bring you to Utah Contradance Information. These fine organizations and individuals already have complete listings for these states and there is no reason for me to duplicate their efforts.
**As far as I know, there are no regular dances or events in Mississippi, South Dakota or Wyoming, but I have created pages if something changes in the future.
Produced by Charlie Seelig
Last updated on August 11, 2017